Wednesday, June 19, 2013

June 15th & 16th

These two days were busy busy busy. Heh, Frosty the Snowman Christmas special. Anyways they involved both a graduation party, a nuclear energy documentary, and father's day. That's a three course load right there. Breakfast this time round shall be a well seasoned nuclear energy documentary with a side of smoked bacon and orange juice.

So for all of you who don't know (which could possibly be many of you audience) my mother is a nuclear engineer who has worked at Argonne National Lab for her entire career. I know, that's rare these days. To say the least she is EXTREMELY knowledgeable when it comes to nuclear energy. My entire life my brother and I have grown up with her facts as well as her co-workers/bosses facts about nuclear energy which gave us a pro-nuclear viewpoint. That viewpoint is often the non-favorable one to the public. Sigh, it's been annoying whenever anyone brings the topic up (especially when I do it cause I don't shut up). The point is I'm pro-nuclear energy (not bombs) and it just so happens a new documentary on nuclear came out called Pandora's Promise.

For all of those who are interested in the film here's the website which gives all the details on the film including reviews, showtimes, and the cool movie poster image. We saw the film in Chicago at a small independent theater located near a Jamba Juice. Very important location, they have awesome smoothies.

I was excited to see the film since pro-nuclear energy films are rather rare. Instead we find environmental documentaries promoting solar, wind, and hydro power or as they put it "clean all-natural energy". Aw man I want to spoil so much in the film but I'll hold my tongue and allow you to be the judge of what clean energy is. Quick tip though, the people interviewed in the film are environmentalist who were originally strong anti-nuclear supporters who have now switched as well as experts in the field including one of the original engineers who worked on some of the first reactors; they know more than politicians with "scientist friends".

Kay I'm done, this isn't a blog to push my opinion...wait...it kinda is a place to push my opinions or least my thoughts onto you. Ah, well I'll stop with this one, it can become overwhelming. My finals words though are, "banana break, who wants a banana break?"

So later on I went to Phil's (a good friend of mine) college graduation party with Suzanne. Unfortunately Nay was unable to attend due to work constrictions though she'll see Phil later in the summer. How do I know this audience? I'm gonna have bonfires and both are sure as hell gonna be there. Plus other events. In any case the party was really mellow (most of his relatives were there) meaning Suzy and I could relax with food and drink as well as chatting up Phil's college friends.

One of the girls (forgot her name) was cool and jumped in and out of our conversations. She apparently was going to med school and had a habit of discussing lab experiments with Phil. As soon as she mentioned that he turned a bit green. Guess Phil doesn't have a strong stomach for that; learn new things everyday bout your friends.

That was basically Saturday. Suzy and I ended up at my house to watch the final periods of the blackhawks game over some pizza. However, we were so exhausted from growling at the screen (Seabrook watch your back) that we called it a night then and there. The next day was Father's Day. It was nice.

My dad and I started the day by attending a 50th Wedding Anniversary open house at our church. It was a quiet banquet that had cake and punch. I was bad and had some cake, fortunately turned out to not be a lie. I also cheated and took stomach meds later on. Also congratulations to the Picketts for 50 years of marriage. That's impressive and touching.

After we left the open house my dad and I decided that it was time for dinner, even though it was only a little past four in the afternoon. We chose a Mexican restaurant off of 75th near the dead Wolf Camera that we had been to several times before.

The food was fantastic, like actual authentic Mexican fantastic. My dad and I split this fajita combo meal that had grilled shrimp, marinated pork, beef, and chicken all on this hot plate. We couldn't finish it (I gave a good effort) and ended up taking a good chunk home for leftovers. The margaritas were good too.

Once we arrived home my dad opened his present from my mother which was a collection of special sauces (namely a ketchup) as well as a few recipes for a vegan diet. My dad is often a loyal vegan but it was Father's Day. My gift is still in the works and will hopefully be finished before the end of summer. I've just been busy busy busy and don't want things to become messy messy messy. Sorry, I really love that Christmas Special.

Tis all for now audience. Cheerio.

Ok that goes on the list of things Americans cannot say.

3 comments: