Friday, June 21, 2013

June 19th & 20th

Now audience you've heard plenty about two of my female bestfriends, Suzanne and Natalie. It is time however to switch to some of my male bestfriends. Not without a few minor explanations though. Warning, this may weird most of you out.

Back in high school (all those years ago) during my sophomore year I was a part of stage/tech crew. Basically I built sets and operated the soundboard. It was a lot of fun too. Well I made friends while on stage crew but namely I made "family". It started with my friend Alex (not my Romanian friend Alex) who was having a difficult time because of friends issues outside of tech. Being who I am I took Alex under my wing and soon enough he began to refer me as "big sis" (the hilarious thing is he is much taller than I am) and I called him "little bro". That is where it started.

My junior year of high school I still participated in crew and we had several new members (Tim even joined) namely Mike/Mikey, Dennis/DenDen, and Brian/Bribear. Dennis and Mike were friends of Alex's and I had met them the year before; Mike is completely mental (don't give him Full Throttle unless absolute chaos is what you're going for) and Dennis is kind of rough around the edges. Both are a year younger than yours truly and are good guys once you break past the first impression.

Brian, he's a near and dear friend of mine who is two years younger. For the longest time I called him "Freshie" since he was the new freshman on crew. He was similar to Alex where he started off in crew with a few ups and downs between his friends. I took him under my wing as well as Dennis and Mike. Essentially I mothered the three boys and this developed into me earning the nickname "Momma/Mom/Mommy". It's a bit weird (non-conventional for sure) but it is how it is. So, today I spent time with my lil bro and two of my three sons. That's where this was going.

The day started off with Dennis early-ish that morning. We took a walk round the Y-field near my house and had some lunch at Downers Delight together. He then (while terrifying me with his driving) u-turned the car and took me to Brian's house since Brian was at home. There Dennis was given the tour while I talked to Mrs. Kelly and her sister in the living room. A few times I shouted at Dennis to watch his language. Yup, definitely his mother.

The three of us then spent a few hours in one of my favorite parks walking around and talking. Around four a "surprise" happened which was why Dennis, "kidnapped Momma in the first place." Alex appeared which was shocking and fantastic all in one. I hadn't seen Alex in over a year due to his work schedules and college. I was swept up into a bear hug by my lil bro.

And then it was four. We all walked around the park more and ended it with some soft serve ice cream. I was then (after much persuasion) taken to T-Bell (Taco Bell) for dinner. The only reason I agreed was Baja Blast. Well, also Mikey wasn't there so two reasons. He had caused some incidences at Taco Bell which have since made me reluctant to go with this group of friends. In any case we ate there and everyone behaved themselves, surprisingly.

That's where the day ended. Well I was given a ride home by Alex which was sweet of him and then played some Old Republic with Pete and Brian; essentially it ended there.

Alright that was Wednesday, time for Thursday. Don't worry, it's not as long. Basically the big moments that occurred on Thurs were my mother's homecoming from her business trip in Atlanta, and finally watching Wreck It Ralph.

When my Mom arrived I gave her a big hug before she left for her training session at the Y. After she returned we all had a nice big dinner of burgers, corn on the cob, and a mixed salad. The salads were enormous, my mother and I didn't actually finish them. More veg for tomorrow!

Later on Brian arrived with a blu-ray of Wreck It Ralph. After several minutes of me trying different combinations I finally found the correct settings for the blu-ray player and projector. Seriously, it is hard. You try figuring out my Dad's entertainment system, even Pete has issues with it. Warning, there are probably spoilers below on the film.

Once everything was setup Wreck It Ralph occurred. I could've watched the menu screen for hours just such a cute animation of an arcade game. I found the film fantastic. All the gaming references were beautiful, naming the different arcade games during the montage, almost crying over Q-Bert being unplugged, Sonic loosing his rings when hit; it was magical. Though my favorite moment was when the Konami code was used. Watch the film and enjoy it for it's gamer glory of arcades. Makes me want to pay Galloping Ghost a quick visit.

That was Thursday. Again it ended with some Old Republic with my brother but otherwise it was a straight forward day. I love technology; the ability to talk to someone miles away for free because of Steam or Skype is amazing. Sure it can be frustrating when it doesn't work but it's way more reliable than a fax. Hint hint France.

New age tech and retro nostalgia make for a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment